Angry faces flooded social media as dozens of people took to Twitter to complain the BBC had ruined their night in front of the telly. For last night only, the public broadcaster replaced real-life drama show Ambulance, with Prince, Son and Heir: Charles at 70. The documentary, the results of 12 months of filming the heir both during royal engagements and during his everyday life, shed a light on the funny and affectionate side of the prince.
But the BBC decision did not go down well with all viewers who were looking forward to an episode of Ambulance.
As BBC One honoured Prince Charles’s 70th birthday, one social media user wrote: “I’ve been looking forward to #Ambulance all day but instead we’ve got a documentary on Prince Charles, because we haven’t seen enough of the Royal Family recently!”
Another Twitter user added: “Absolutely gutted there is no #Ambulance on tonight.
“I really look forward to watching it each Thursday night & now I’m stuck looking at Prince Charles’s face instead.”
The changed schedule seems to have annoyed younger viewers, as this social media user said: “Just sat down with my 12 yr old to watch the excellent #Ambulance but no… a documentary about Prince Charles. #disappointed #nothappy. Hope it returns next week.”
But the documentary was welcomed by some royal fans, with compliments and kind words flooding Twitter as soon as the documentary started at 9pm.
One social media user revealed what her night would be, writing: “Cup of tea, and #PrinceSonandHeir – I do love Prince Charles.”
And another chimed in saying: “I love our royals so much! Watching this Prince Charles documentary and seeing him in a whole new light #CharlesAt70.”
And some even defended the prince from the “negativity” shared on Twitter, saying: “Lots of negativity around Prince Charles will hopefully be put to bed after this utterly charming programme.”
The documentary highlighted some of the most poignant moments Charles has experienced in the last year.
Among them, there was his youngest son Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Royal Wedding.
On May 19, Prince Charles walked Meghan down the aisle at St George’s Chapel in Windsor after her father, Thomas Markle Snr, said he could not attend for health-related reasons.
Recalling the moment he asked his father to help Meghan during such a difficult moment, Prince Harry said: “I asked him to and I think he knew it was coming and he immediately said, ‘Yes, of course, I’ll do whatever Megan needs and I’m here to support you’.
“For him that’s a fantastic opportunity to step up and be that support, and you know he’s our father so of course he’s gonna be there for us.”
During the fairytale wedding, many members of the public watching the ceremony at home also noticed Prince Charles taking the hand of Doria Ragland, mother of the bride, to walk her to sign the registry.
READ MORE: Heartwarming moment Prince Charles plays with little Prince Louis
Recalling the moment, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, said: “A lot of people, seeing my husband actually take the Bride’s mother by the hand to sign the registry, it’s something that moved everybody.
“It’s the things he does behind the scenes that people don’t know about. I don’t think people realise quite how kind he is.”
Express.co.uk has contacted the BBC for comment.
Source : EXPRESS