Rodexo
News World News

Top Saudi prosecutor expected in Turkey over writer’s death

Top Saudi prosecutor expected in Turkey over writer’s death 2


Saudi Arabia’s attorney general is scheduled to arrive in Turkey to hold talks with investigators looking into the killing of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi.

The Washington Post journalist was killed in the kingdom’s Istanbul consulate earlier this month.

Turkey says the kingdom’s top prosecutor, Saud al-Mojeb, is expected to arrive on Sunday.

There has been no announcement by the Saudis about the visit, which comes just days after CIA director Gina Haspel was in Turkey to review evidence before briefing US President Donald Trump.

Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed at the consulate in Turkey (Hasan Jamali/AP)

Turkey is seeking the extradition of 18 Saudi suspects detained in the kingdom in connection with the October 2 killing.

Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister appeared to reject that notion in remarks on Saturday, saying the kingdom would try the perpetrators and bring them to justice after the investigation is completed.

Some of those implicated in the killing are close to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, whose condemnation of the killing has failed to ease suspicions that he was involved.

Mr Khashoggi, a onetime Saudi insider and US resident who lived in self-imposed exile for almost a year before his death, had written critically of the crown prince in columns for the Washington Post.

Under mounting international pressure, the kingdom again changed its narrative about Mr Khashoggi’s killing, acknowledging in recent days that it was “premeditated”, citing information from Turkey as part of a joint investigation.

Saudi officials, however, continue to characterise the killing as a rogue operation carried out by agents who exceeded their authority.

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir on Saturday said the global outcry and media focus on the killing had become “fairly hysterical”.

He urged the public to wait for the results of the investigation before ascribing blame to the kingdom’s top leadership.

Turkey is pressing Saudi Arabia for a full disclosure about the killing. Turkey alleges a 15-member hit squad was sent to Istanbul to kill the journalist.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday that his country would reveal more evidence about the killing but was not in any rush to do so, indicating that Turkish authorities will keep methodically increasing pressure on Saudi Arabia.


Source : HeraldScotland

Related posts

Australia mulls resettlement for fleeing Saudi woman after UN deems her refugee

Rodexo

RODGERS BACKS HIS PLAYERS TO RESPOND

Rodexo

Police release CCTV after girl, 12, ‘blatantly’ sexually assaulted in Primark

Rodexo

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.