While President Trump has been adamant about waiting for an investigation to take place before making any judgments, Rudy Giuliani told The Washington Post on Wednesday many senior members of the administration concluded last week that the Saudis ordered the murder of missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Khashoggi disappeared from the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, and Turkey has said he was murdered inside the building by 15 Saudi agents. Turkish officials say they have an audio recording that proves Khashoggi was killed and dismembered, and U.S. officials have said privately they do not doubt this account, the Post reports. There is no definitive proof that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the killing, but there’s also no reason to think he did not plan the operation, U.S. officials said.
The Trump administration and Saudi royal family are now trying to come up with an explanation for what happened that does not implicate the crown prince, the Post reports. U.S. intelligence reportedly discovered before Khashoggi’s disappearance that the crown prince was trying to lure him from his home in Virginia to Saudi Arabia, and he told friends he did not trust overtures he was receiving from people inside the Saudi government.
Trump speculated earlier this week that “rogue killers” were behind Khashoggi’s suspected death, and on Wednesday became defensive, telling reporters he’s “not giving cover” to the crown prince. Giuliani, Trump’s adviser and lawyer, told the Post “the only question is, was it directed from the crown prince or the king — or was it a group that was trying to please him?” He added, “I know the bloom is off the rose with the crown prince.” Catherine Garcia
Source : theweek