Superdrug has today become the first UK high street retailer to announce it is now able to offer customers an MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccination service in all of its Health Clinics across the country.
The vaccine is available from the Birmingham store in Corporation Street.
Currently the MMR vaccination is advised for travel to the majority of Asia, Africa, India and South America.
More recently, there have also been outbreaks of measles in developed countries such as Australia, US, Canada, New Zealand and several European countries including the UK.
As a company that provides a travel health service , Superdrug have added the MMR vaccine to make it easier for people to stay healthy while travelling or working/living abroad and for UK nationals studying in the US, the MMR vaccination is recommended.
Additionally, the UK Government’s Department of Health recommends that students should have certain vaccinations prior to attending university, including MMR.
Superdrug is offering the vaccination service to those who are 18 years old and over and who are not currently vaccinated.
The vaccination is available at £55 per dose, and two doses – at least four weeks apart – are recommended to give heightened immune protection.
Ideally, the vaccination course should be completed at least two weeks before travel.
Around 90% of patients will have a successful response to the vaccine after just one dose, while a second dose helps to protect the remaining 10% and increase the length of protection.
Dr. Pixie McKenna, Superdrug’s Health and Wellbeing Ambassador, says, “The MMR vaccination protects against measles, mumps and rubella infections.
“Measles in particular can be potentially life threatening.
“It is important for those who may have missed the vaccine in childhood to get themselves vaccinated, to prevent both catching and spreading these infections.
“The MMR vaccine is tried and tested and has been proven to be both safe and effective, and is now available on the high street in Superdrug stores.”
Measles, mumps and rubella are all viruses which can lead to serious complications such as pneumonia, encephalitis.
Measles in particular is highly contagious and is amongst one of the most infectious diseases in the western world.
Measles symptoms may include a fever, a characteristic red rash, a cough, nasal congestion and a feeling of exhaustion.
Mumps infections typically cause significant swelling around the jaw, muscle ache, a fever, and headaches.
The rubella virus can also cause fever, malaise, conjunctivitis and cold like symptoms.
The red rubella rash is usually around the neck, face and the ears but can be elsewhere.
It can also affect the lymph nodes. Rubella, like many infections, is of significant concern during pregnancy.
It can cause changes in foetal development and in some cases a miscarriage.
Complications from the viruses may include convulsions and encephalitis from measles, deafness and sub-fertility from mumps and miscarriage with rubella.
Source : BirminghamMail