A gritty photograph of Ashington’s disused railway station from 25 years ago.
By the time our image was captured – on October 20, 1992 – it had been closed to passengers for 28 years.
It was one of the many stations that fell victim to the Beeching axe.
Despite objections, the station on the Blyth and Tyne line lost its passenger service in November, 1964.
The line closure left Ashington, with a population of 30,000, and Blyth, with 40,000, as two of the largest towns in England not to be served by rail.
The station had been opened in 1878 and was known as Hirst up until the late 1880s.
The opening of the Blyth and Tyne line went hand in hand with the rapid growth of the coal industry in the area.
But falling passenger numbers on the line would lead to its eventual demise 50 years ago.
In 1911, nearly 260,000 tickets were issued at Ashington, a figure which had fallen to less than 40,000 in 1951.
For many years, there have been calls ro reopen the station.
Meanwhile, in October last year, the Chronicle reported how the Ashington, Blyth and Tyne line could reopen to passenger trains by 2021 after a study by Network Rail.
Source : Chroniclelive