1. On this first outing, the cat and mouse were called Jasper and Jinx.
2. The names of “Tom” and “Jerry” were suggested by animator John Carr who won a competition among studio members to come up with names.
3. Their creators, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, went on to found their own studio which gave us The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, Yogi Bear, Top Cat and The Smurfs.
4. Although Barbera had thought a cat chasing a mouse was a good basic idea, Hanna is said to have complained that it wasn’t very original.
5. The original run of the series comprised 114 cartoons between 1940 and 1958.
6. They won seven animation Oscars, a number equalled only by Walt Disney’s Silly Symphonies.
7. The male leads in the BBC sitcom The Good Life are Tom (Good) and Jerry (Leadbetter).
8. Tom and Jerry were also the names of the two principals in Pierce Egan’s 1821 Life in London.
9. Because of them, “to Tom and Jerry” in the late 1820s meant “to indulge in riotous behaviour”.
10. In 1972, the Arab state of Sharjah issued a set of Tom and Jerry postage stamps.
Source : EXPRESS