1. The Barbie doll was first exhibited at a toy fair in New York in 1959. Since then, more than a billion Barbie dolls have been sold worldwide.
2. At its peak, sales of Barbie dolls reached around three dolls every second.
3. A Barbie For President doll was launched in 1992 but she did not secure the nomination.
4. In 2003, Barbie was first banned then declared a threat to morality in Saudi Arabia.
5. In 2012, police in Iran shut down toy shops that were selling Barbie dolls.
6. Bettina Dorfman of Germany has the world’s biggest collection of Barbie dolls, more than 15,000.
7. In 2010, a Barbie doll with a diamond necklace designed by Australian jeweller Stefano Canturi sold at auction for $302,500 (then about £200,000).
8. In January this year, it was announced that Barbie will be getting three new body types: curvy, petite and tall.
9. Barbie’s full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts. Her first name was chosen to be the same as Ruth Handler’s daughter.
10. After a 43-year long romance, Barbie and her boyfriend Ken split in 2004 but they reunited seven years later on Valentine’s Day.
Source : EXPRESS