Obtaining traffic through organic search engine listings is the highest goal of a traffic building campaign. Why? Because organic searches that list your Website near the top (page 1 or 2) allows you to reach visitors with ZERO cost to you. Unlike Pay-Per-Click advertising, you have a chance that the browser looking up one of your keywords will see your site listed, visit and purchase your product. All without paying for that visitor's click.
Because this is the Holy Grail of traffic building, this goal does take time and effort to achieve. But think of it as "sweat equity" instead of hard dollars invested. You will spend time making sure the search engines (Google, Yahoo, and Bing) see you as relevant to your chosen keywords. But starting an online Business is not a get rich quick scheme, it is a legitimate Business that you must nurture and support.
The algorithms used by the search engines are constantly changing and evolving. But one main ingredient exists for all of them. The search engine spiders crawl millions of Websites everyday looking for links (primarily anchor text) to other sites, then they crawl those sites looking for content relevant to the anchor they followed. You can gleam two ideas from this information:
1. You need to have a lot of backlinks on other Websites, preferably using anchor text links composed of your keywords.
2. You need to have content on your site that is relevant to the anchor text you used. For example, an anchor text link of "how to make money from home" should link to a Website that is legitimately selling a product or talking about making money from home. Not to a site that sells a book on rehabbing shoulder injuries.
There are several methods to creating backlinks on popular sites. Here are the ones I use:
1. Become a member of several forums that are relevant to your products. In your forum profile be sure to use every method to post your anchor text backlinks and your Website. This is important as your posts will either give you a signature block to use for advertising or they will allow the post readers to see your profile and perhaps follow your links.
Scroll through the different subjects and choose posts that are asking a questions or have a problem to solve. Remember in forums you want to give more than you take so be helpful and considerate – the readers are real people and could become future customers.
Choose 3 to 5 forums total so you have time to become a valuable member of the posting community.
2. Create an account with Yahoo Answers and Ask Yedda. Both of these sites allow you to post answers to a wide variety of questions. There is a qualifying period but eventually you will be able to advertise under your posts.
3. There are many opinions on this subject but the rule of thumb is the higher the Website Page Rank the better your backlink will be weighted by the search engines. I subscribe to a service that provides the location of these high page rank sites. I use this information to create my backlinks. Each month I get a total of 50 backlinks on page rank 4 or higher sites. It takes about 3 hours to complete all 50 but I have really seen some progress using this method. For less that $ 10 per month, this is definitely worth the money. Try it, I think you will like it!
Building traffic is a never ending story. You can buy your traffic but FREE traffic is always best.