If you go on a vacation, the biggest challenge you’ll encounter is finding someone who’d be willing to feed and take care of your pet while you are away. So, it may be a good idea to tag your pet along on your next trip. There are a number of pet friendly rentals sailing companies that allows you to take your pets.
But should you decide to take your dog on a pet friendly rentals sailing adventure, here are some tips that you can use:
1. Make sure that your dog is properly hydrated. Bring plenty of water and let your dog drink every thirty minutes.
2. Give your dog a life jacket. Before you go boating, it is important to ask your boat rental company if they have a dog life jacket. If not, you may have to purchase one. Make sure to choose a jacket that fits your dog well.
3. Try to check the boat with your pet prior to your boating trip. Dogs are usually scared when you place them in a new environment.
4. It is important to check the Local laws about boats and dogs before you go on your boating trip. While countries, in general, do not prohibit Travelling or sailing with dogs, some cities and states do. So, it is important to double-check the Local pet travelling laws of your sailing destination before you take your dog with you.
5. Bring a pet-specific first aid kit. Your first aid kit should include the following:
• Pet carrier
• Ice pack
• Non-latex gloves
• Gauze rolls
• Hydrogen peroxide
• Adhesive tape
• Cotton balls
• Antiseptic spray
• Rectal thermometer
• Petroleum jelly
• Nail clippers
• Tongue Depressors
• Rubbing Alcohol
Also, make sure to bring your pet first aid book, the phone number of the veterinarian, and the paperwork of your pet.
6. Place pet-friendly sunscreen on your dog. Some dogs need protection from the harmful rays of the sun. So, if your dog is sensitive to the heat of the sun, then you should definitely rub some sunscreen on him before you go on your boating trip.
7. Place a collar with an ID tag on your dog’s neck. Don’t forget to place your contact information on the tag.
8. Create a place where your dog can urinate or poop such as puppy pads or small litter box.
9. If you’re travelling outside the country, it is best to secure a pet passport first before you go on your trip.
10. Make sure that your dog does not disturb wildlife.
11. Do not allow your dog to drink from the sea or the canal water. Make sure that your dog drinks clean and sterilised water throughout the trip.
12. Make sure that your vet performs a routine check-up on your pet before you leave for your trip. You have to ensure that your pet’s vaccination is up to date.
Pet friendly rentals sailing adventure is fun and it allows you to strengthen your bond with your pet. But, you must take safety pre-cautions first before you take your pet to your next boating trip.