The dominoes are starting to fall. A few teams didn’t like the direction they were headed in terms of coaching, and more will likely follow as the offseason rolls on for teams that didn’t make the playoffs.
The Knicks’ Jeff Hornacek, the Magic’s Frank Vogel and the Hornets’ Steve Clifford have already gotten the axe. We’ll continue to update this post with the latest firings, hires and rumors from around the league.
NBA 2018 Coaching Carousel
- Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer has been granted permission to meet with the Suns about their vacant head coaching position, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. He has two years left on his deal with Atlanta.
- The Hornets have been granted permission to interview Spurs assistant Ettore Messina for their open coaching position, according to Wojnarowski. Messina has won multiple EuroLeague titles in Italy. Jerry Stackhouse, coach of the Raptors’ G League team, will also interview for the opening, per Wojnarowski.
- The Knicks have gained permission to speak to former coach Mike Woodson, according to Wojnarowski . They also are finalizing meetings with David Fizdale, Mark Jackson, Jerry Stackhouse and former Cavaliers coach David Blatt, who is currently coaching in Europe.
- The Magic plan to interview Stackhouse, according to Wojnarowski.
Possible coaching candidates
- David Fizdale, 43, former Grizzlies coach
- Mark Jackson, 53, TV analyst and former Warriors coach
- Jason Kidd, 45, former Nets, Bucks coach
- Jeff Van Gundy, 56, TV analyst and former Knicks, Rockets coach
- David Blatt, 58, former Cavaliers coach
- Jerry Stackhouse, 43, Raptors 905 coach (G League)
- Frank Vogel, 44, former Magic, Pacers coach
- Jeff Hornacek, 54, former Knicks, Suns coach
- Steve Clifford, 56, former Hornets coach
- Ettore Messina, 58, current Spurs assistant
- Mike Woodson, 60, former Hawks, Knicks coach
Source : CBSsports