Firefighters are urging people in Essex to keep mirrors and glass ornaments out of direct sunlight after a house fire in Colchester.
Crews from Colchester and Manningtree were sent to Lodge Lane in Langham at 12.44pm to reports of a bedroom blaze.
The elderly homeowner’s son discovered the fire and managed to put it out quickly before it could spread.
Station manager Lee Palfreyman said: “We believe the fire was caused by sunlight refracting through a window and on to a vanity mirror, which focused the sun’s rays on nearby curtains and caused them to catch alight.
“Incident like this show how powerful the low winter sun can be.
“The occupants were very luckily to have spotted it very early on and acted very quickly so the damage was very little.”
He encouraged residents to keep mirrors, crystal or glass objects away from windows and direct sunlight.
Bosses also urged people to fit at least one smoke alarm per floor, and to have them tested regularly.
They added: “If you have a fire, close the door on the blaze, get out stay out and call the fire service out.”
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service install free smoke alarms to anyone living in the county.
Call 0300 303 0088 to arrange a home safety visit, or visit the fire service’s Website to book online.
Source : EADT