McGregor this morning confirmed that he had put pen to paper on a contract for the Mayweather fight.
The UFC two-weight champion has not fought since November but has been involved in a war of words with the American over a potential boxing match.
But even with the Irishman apparently signed up to the bout, the 49-fight unbeaten boxer Mayweather has remained coy on proceedings.
“As of right now, everything is on hold,” Mayweather told BT Sport.
Mayweather currently spends most of his time running his promotional company and instead of talking up McGregor, is currently concentrating on Gervonta Davis, the unbeaten 22-year-old who will defend his IBF super-featherweight title against Britain’s Liam Walsh in London this weekend.
“My focus is Saturday night,” Mayweather added.
“I want to make sure ‘Tank’ [Davis] goes out there and does what he has to do.
“We want him to stay focused, and I can only focus on one task at a time.
“Right now I’m focused on ‘Tank’ going out there and getting the victory.”
Davis is one of America’s brightest young fighters and Mayweather has tipped him as the ‘future of boxing’.
But it now appears that Mayweather v McGregor is in boxing’s future with a September date in Las Vegas expected to host the pair.
Mayweather has not fought since beating Andre Berto in 2015 but confirmed earlier this year that he would come out of retirement for McGregor.
And the 40-year-old is even said to have been training and running with his young protege Davis in an effort to get back into shape.
“Floyd Mayweather has been back in the gym with me full-time for this one, putting in late-night sessions,” Davis said.
“Before the [Jose] Pedraza fight [on the Badou Jack v James DeGale undercard] he taught me to be patient and the knockout would come, as it did.
“Now, although I would like to go 12 rounds for the first time, he is reminding me to take the opportunity for the stoppage when Walsh makes a mistake.”
Source : EXPRESS